Sunday, August 30, 2009

Aleks


**Note- if you are reading this review on Facebook, please click the link at the bottom of the post to be taken to the original blog entry. **


This is my second year on the TOS Homeschool Crew. I feel very fortunate, to have been given the opportunity to review the Aleks program once again.


If you would like to see my original review, you can see it here.


So, what is Aleks? Aleks is a subscription based math program. If you have read my reviews for any length of time, you know that math is not my favorite subject. So when I come across something that helps me teach my children math, then I am thrilled! Aleks is just that!!!


Since my last review, the kind people at Aleks have made some changes, I wanted to talk about some of them here today. They have made some changes to their master accounts, aka teacher accounts. Which have made the service even better.


When my children signed on this time around, once again, they were asked to take an assessment test. This placed them exactly where they need to be by skill level. It also created their pie chart.  The darker areas indicate areas they have mastered. And the lighter area then shows the skill areas they are still learning. As you can see by the dialog box, you will be given more detailed information when clicking on the areas.



From here the kids can navigate through their math course.  Now one of the features that I really liked that was new, was the ability to give the kids a quiz. You can either create a custom quiz, or you can have them create one, based on the work your children are currently doing. I chose the second option. Then, the next time your child signs in, they will be prompted to take the quiz, before they move onto their next lessons.


In the master account, you can view the test results as well as print out a copy of the test.


You can also print out an attendance chart. This will show you when your child signed in, and how long they were working. It will show you how many skills they have attempted, and how many they have mastered. Both of those pieces of information are clickable, so you can see exactly what they  have worked on.



As you can see the people at Aleks, have listened and have come up with some very useful tools for parents to use, in order to better track our children's progress.


If you are interested in taking a test run, Aleks is offering my readers a FREE on month trial. Please see the banner on my sidebar. This is a $19.95 value. However, it is only available to new users. On their website, they only offer a 48 hour trial, so please take advantage of this awesome offer!


They still offer discount packages for families, please visit their website to see a list of their current prices.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment