Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gymathtics






As part of The TOS Crew, I was sent a complimentary copy of "Gymathtics" from Explormania, for the purpose of giving my honest opinion about the product.


 As a parent of special needs children, I have been exposed to the idea that movement can help a child retain otherwise difficult to retain information.  So, when I read a bit about this program, I thought that they were indeed putting to practice what I had learned about.

In fact, the creator of 'Gymathtics' is addressing the idea that when a child uses several senses they will have a better understanding of what they are learning. I have seen this to be true with my family. I have often said that my children have had to see, hear, touch, smell, do , eat and create in order to learn something!

I used this DVD with my 5th grader. I was not sure how it was going to fly. If it was going to feel babyish or if she would enjoy it.  Well, let me tell you I had decided to do the program with her. At first she wanted to do it in a room, where just the 2 of us were.... she was a little embarrassed to do it in front of her siblings. Well that completely changed when while her and I were working out, she thought I was making funny sounds!  There are a few stretches that made me groan! She quickly told all the siblings! So guess what, the next time we did the DVD, guess who joined us! That's right, the rest of my kiddos! (teenagers)
 
We really did have some good family fun doing the DVD workout together.  The program did help to concrete some of the math concepts in my daughters mind.

The program is divided into several different sections. First is the 'Shape  Stretches Warm Up', you will get your body ready to work out, and learn about shapes and angles!




  Next is 'Counting
Calisthenics', you will be getting your heart rate up while skip counting, counting with prime numbers and place values.




Next on the line up is Pattern Power. Here you will use your body to make different kinds of patterns.



And finally, you have the 'Well Being Wind Down'. Here while you are cooling your body down, Ms Karrie gives positive words of encouragement on how to help maintain a calm peaceful attitude.




This is clearly a supplemental program. If you have children in the K-5th grade range, you would have use for this in your home. Especially if your kids are active. In the beginning my daughter thought it was all a bit silly, though she did enjoy doing the program. Doing it together has proven to be fun for all.

You can visit their website to see excerpts of the video.  You can purchase from Exploramania directly for $24.99, which includes free shipping. Or from several online retailers. ( Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Glammatoys and Can Doo Products)

Please visit the crew blog to see what my crew mates thought of this product!





No comments:

Post a Comment