Thursday, April 30, 2009

Memoria Press

For my final review for the TOS Homeschool Crew, we are reviewing several products from Memoria Press.  The people at Memoria Press were awesome in helping us figure out what would be a good fit for our families!


We chose to review, Famous Men of Rome, Christian Studies Book 1 and Latina Christiana Book 1.


I wish that we could have 6 months with this product before needing to write our review, because there is so much, and I pray that I am able to give the product an accurate portrayal.


I'll begin with Christian Studies Book 1. This book takes you from Genesis through Deuteronomy. This book is designed to go with the Golden Children's Bible.  We do not own the Golden Children's Bible, so we used these books alongside our bible. So, I cannot coment how they work together, however, I can tell you that we were able to utilize these books using our bible. Each lesson has 3 sections; "Facts to know", "Memory Verse" and "Comprehension Questions" The children and I have thoroughly enjoyed going through the first several lessons in this book!!


Next on the line up is Famous Men of Rome .  Which is a year long course on Roman History. The book is beautifully illustrated, and I really enjoy the writing, as do my children.  There are 3 books in this set, the "text" which where you read from, and then you also recieve a student and teacher's guide. The student's guide is set up very similar to the Christian Studies book, with the "Facts to Know", "Comprehension  questions", "Vocabulary" and "Activities".  Overall, we have enjoyed going through this book, the only thing that bother's me, has nothing to do with Memoria Press, or the books, it is actually the Roman history. I do not really  enjoy reading about their worship and belief of many gods.  Though it is factual.


And to wrap up this review, we have Latina Christiana, this is a beginning Latin course. It comes with the teacher book, student book, DVD's and  pronunciation guide CD.  We have really enjoyed this one. We are several lessons in and the Lowe family, Cheryl wrote the books and Leigh teaches on the DVD, makes this a series that my entire family, myself included can enjoy.  I have never taken  Latin myself, so this would be a daunting task, however with the DVD's it makes learning Latin a breeze. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in learning Latin. If you have never been interested in learning Latin, I would still take a look at Memoria Press, they have made learning Latin accessible for any family.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment