I have been looking forward to teaching writing, and finding a program that will help do so,and do it well. While, I feel like I have some level of writing skill. I surely, do not remember all there is to know about writing. And with all of the writing curriculum options, where am I to begin?
Enter in The Write Foundation. As part of the crew, I was able to choose which level we were going to use, so I started at the beginning. We reviewed the first 15 lessons of Sentence to Paragraph Writing.
I keep thinking of the song Do Re Mi from the Sound of the Music Lets Start at the very beginning, .....a very good place to start . when you read begin A-B-C when you write you begin with The Write Foundation!
In all seriousness, The Write Foundation truly does start by giving you the foundation you need to be a good writer. I am currently taking college courses and I wanted to brush up on my grammar, to ensure that I was meeting the grade in my lessons, as well as, making sure that my children are grasping all that they need to succeed!
So what is included?
The entire Sentence to Paragraph Writing Curriculum for teacher and student by Rebecca Celsor includes:
- Spiral-bound Teacher Instruction Manuals with Lesson Plans (about 160 double-sided pages)
- 1 set notebook-ready printed Worksheets (about 200 single-sided pages)
- 1 CD with additional resources
- Grading System
- Grading Record Sheets
- Word Games
- Teacher Presentation Sheets
- Weekly Assignments
- Extensive Reading list
There are several different packaging options that range in price from $65 - $100. Please check out their website to see which set would be a good fit for your family.
Here is what Level 1 aims to teach your student.
- Lesson plans formatted in an easy-to-follow system
- Reinforces the construction of a basic sentence
- Improves sentence structure with basic grammar and figures of speech
- Teaches the organizational process of brainstorming, outlining, rough draft and editing.
- Quickly develops more interesting, informative sentences
- Steps to writing the basic paragraph
- Progress to writing two-paragraph papers
- Guidelines, checklists and correct structure
- Creative poetry writing
- 30 lessons with lesson plans for either a one- or two-year format
Now, that all of the official information is covered, what did I really think of the program? Well, I think that it is very thorough. And my children did indeed learn basic grammar and sentence structure, as well as, some poetry. The poetry was particularly helpful, as while we have read poetry, they have not learned a ton of poetry.
While the program did indeed get the job done, it was not something that my children enjoyed immensely. However, they did learn the material and complete the assignments.
If you would like to see what my crew mates think about The Write Foundation, please visit the crew blog and check out their reviews!!
I received a free copy of lessons 1-15 and teachers manual, in exchange for my honest review of the product.