Sunday, March 8, 2009

Math Mammoth


 I had decided what math curriculum I was going to use with the children this year. And then I heard that we would be reviewing Math Mammoth. Now, I have heard of Math Mammoth over the years, however, I had never tried it.


So when I emailed with Maria Miller from Math Mammoth, she decided that she would send me the 6th grade "Golden Series" and Grades 2 and 3 "Light Blue Series.


I am using the grade 6 Golden Series with my son, who is using a grade six curriculum.  The Golden series is not a typical math text, they are support worksheets. They were designed in concert with the  Virginia State Standards. And as standards vary and will change over the years, it may not exactly match what your state's standards are. However, this is a really good set of worksheets to help your child understand math. It has been very helpful to have these worksheets at my finger tips for my son.  I usually am hunting the internet trying to find a worksheet generator of sorts, to fill that need. However, Maria Miller has compiled worksheets that are a cut above the rest. Not your average worksheet!


 


Now, onto the Light Blue Series. These sets of books, can be a stand alone. They are not like the Golden Series, these are designed to teach your child. I have really liked the layout of these pages. And the wording is something my children have responded to. I have special needs kids using these sheets. So my students are not of average age. They are older students using the younger text. What is nice about these pages, is they are not full of cartoon characters, and baby type illustrations, that make it very distracting and humiliating for a struggling learner. My children have been able to use these pages and feel as they are doing the same work as their peers. For this, I am eternally grateful.


Please go to...http://www.mathmammoth.com/ and check out Math Mammoth. And while you are there, you can sign up for a "tour" of Math Mammoth. As well as, joining her email newsletter. When you do so, you will have access to 280 worksheets. I promise you will not be sorry for taking the time to check them out.


Once again, thank you Maria Miller, for helping my struggling students study math with dignity!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment