Thursday, September 29, 2011

TOS Crew: Aletheia Writing Magazine

 


I actually first started hearing about Aletheia in my role of Homeschool Group Leader. They had contacted me and asked if I would share information about their magazine directed at Christian teenage ( 13-19) writers. At the time, I thought that the concept of a magazine whose purpose it is to help inspire kids to write, by providing a place for them to be to be published was wonderful! And I did share about their magazine with my group.

So when we started the 4th TOS Crew voyage, I was thrilled to see that they were going to be on the line up.

As members of the TOS Crew we received two copies of the magazine. One in print, the Fall 2011 issue and an online copy of the Summer 2011 issue. Additionally, the Spring 2011 issue is available for you to view.   So, in essence we had 3 issues to peruse to give us an accurate feel of all the Aletheia has to offer.

What is Aletheia?  Here is how they describe themselves;

"Aletheia Writing Magazine is a quarterly publication focusing on the literary and artistic works of Christian teens, ages 13 to 19."

"In addition to the literary and artistic expressions of Christian teens, each issue offers a variety of unique features: a Writer's Challenge, the Featured Contributor, a book review, Glory to God for the Beauty of Nature, Ancient Ink, and an interview or other feature for edification and enjoyment."

In the Writer's Challenge, for example, the teens are given a photo and they are asked to write a story or a poem about the photo and submit it to the magazine.

After looking through the issues of Aletheia, I must admit, that I have not enjoyed every story. I am not pulled in, to each of every story, however,  I do believe that the idea of this magazine, a place for Christian Teens to express themselves, to help inspire them to pick up the pen and put it to paper, is priceless. This is a magazine that should you have it lying it on the coffee table, your teen would see the hope they would have to possibly be published.  And that hope, could inspire them more than a simple writing assignment ever could.

Please take some time to check out the free sample Spring 2011 issue, and see if this is something that would suit your family.  Aletheia is published quarterly and is available for $26 US and $29 Cananda, which includes shipping and handling.

Visit the Crew Blog to see what my Crew Mates are saying about Aletheia.

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment